The Ordinary Serum Foundation Review

Thursday 23 November 2017

Hey guys!

Hope things are good.. cause they're about to be even better when I introduce you to my favorite foundation of 2017 - a BIG statement for me!



Firstly.. this is a screenshot from The Ordinary's website about their animal testing policies


All of The Ordinary's products are also free of lots of nasties such as parabens, sulphates, mineral oil, methylchloroisothiazolinone, methylisothiazolinone, animal oils, benzalkonium chloride, coal tar dyes, formaldehyde, mercury and oxybenzone.




This little foundation is a dream and not only is it cruelty free, but its also vegan AND oil free!
I'd say that coverage wise, this is light to medium, however definitely build-able as its such a liquid based formula so very easy to blend. The look once its on reminds me so much of Too Faced's Born This Way!

SHADES
I was slightly skeptical when I first purchased this as I brought it online on ASOS therefore couldn't physically colour match it to my skin, but I went onto their website here and basically matched my skin colour to my phone. To my surprise I actually picked THE perfect colour.. and it helps sooo much that they do have so many shades to choose from, and each one of their colors comes in Y,N,P, NS, R or YG - Y is for those with a yellow undertone, N is for neutral, P is for pink and NS is for neutral with silver highlights, R is for red and YG is for yellow gold. I literally didn't have a clue what undertone I was so I kinda guessed, but the colour I have is 1.2 N. On their website it also says that each person can pretty much get away with three shades, meaning that the foundation will blend in with your skin tone even if you get it a shade lighter or darker by mistake. 

APPLICATION
Before applying foundation I always use a primer, partly to keep it on on my t-zone for longer but also to minimise my huge pores, however, this actually has pore refining properties inside, so naturally makes your pores look smaller (winning!) I then shake it before using, to thicken it up a bit, I can confidentially say that 4 pumps does my whole face and obviously because its not heavy coverage, I wear concealer under my eyes and on blemishes. To finish I always set my foundation with powder, normally a banana powder because they are my fave!

QUALITIES
I don't even know where to start with this foundation because it has so many good qualities. One of the things I hate the most is when foundation sits on your skin and feels and looks heavy, and this definitely doesn', infact it doesn't even feel like you have any foundation on your face because its so lightweight. When you pump it out of the bottle it's quite watery but when you actually apply it, it leaves like a semi-matte finish, and gives a really natural effect. For those of you that have freckles like me, It still lets them come peeping through whilst covering blemishes, redness etc! Also, this has an SPF 15 in, which makes it even better because it's got all the qualities you need in a perfect holiday foundation!

As some of you may know, I have quite oily skin however don't like to use matte moisturizers because they dry me out, but I really cant believe that this keeps me matte for a good 5-6 hours! I've also read a few reviews online from people who have dry skin, and they've said they love it too!

I actually don't know what I was doing before I tried this foundation because it ticks all of the boxes for me! Cruelty free, vegan, lightweight, oil free and SO many shades to choose from, I just wish they sold bigger bottles so I could have more!

You can purchase this foundation from ASOS for only £6.00!

I'm definitely going to try the Coverage foundation soon and I'll report back on that too!

Thanks for reading,

Annie x

Join the conversation!

© Annie Collyer. Design by FCD.