Becca Ever Matte primer VS Illamasqua Matte Veil

Sunday 10 April 2016


These two primers are both my favourite primers to date- however I find it extremely hard to decide which one to wear underneath my makeup as they're both pretty much awesome. These are both for oily skin peeps as they leave a matte finish, so I strongly avoid you staying away from them if you suffer from dry skin! I would say that the Becca one is for seriously oily skin and the Illamasqua for a little less oily.

PRO'S:
 ❥ good at balancing out oils
  creates a smooth base for your foundation to sit on
 ❥ super super matte

This is a really strange product that needs to be properly applied or it makes your face look like you have dried toothpaste all over it (it happened one time haha). I advise to follow the instructions that come with it which are to squeeze a pea sized amount into your fingers,  Veilhen rub them together with your other fingers to heat up the product and make it workable. Then you need to pat it lightly onto the areas of your face you want it and it literally creates a matte film for your foundation to go on! you can use this before or after your foundation or even use it on its own, I like to use it under my foundation and also as an eye primer for my eyeshadow to stick to! One of the things I'm not keen on about this product is that it doesn't actually minimise all of my pores; and my pores are quite bad. I find that it soothes my pores over however it doesn't do anything to make them look like they're not there, especially the ones in the crease of my nose. Which is a bummer :( This is one of THE best primers I've ever tried and using this on my chin and forehead makes natural oils stay in my face for hours instead of coming out and making my foundation come off and look awful. So if you're desperately looking for something to control your excess oil then this is absolutely the product you should try as it will 99.9% work!

Ingredients:
AQUA (WATER), MAGNESIUM ALUMINUM SILICATE, PROPYLENE GLYCOL, PHENOXYETHANOL, METHYLPARABEN, PROPYLPARABEN, BUTYLENE GLYCOL, ENANTIA CHLORANTHA BARK EXTRACT, OLEANOLIC ACID

PRO'S:
 ❥ good at balancing out oils 
  a little goes a long way
  instantly mattifies 

This product is a little easier to work with but bit fiddly to actually get out. To use it you need to use the little spoon provided (so cute) and spoon a few spoonfuls onto your hand and apply using a brush or your fingers. I prefer to apply primer using my fingers as I find with mattiftying primers they don't work very well with a brush application. This is a gel formula which feels very liquidy when you first put it on your skin, when I first put it on I didn't think it would matte my skin because of the texture of it but to my surprise it did, instantly. For me, this done a better job of smoothing over my pores and making them look less visible. I'm not sure why but for pore minimising this is a treat! I would say that this primer is aimed at for people with oily/combination skin as it does matte your face in preparation for your foundation but not to the extent where your skin may feel dry. 

Ingredients: 
Aqua (Water, Eau), Alcohol Denat., Butylene glycol, Aluminum starch octenylsuccinate, Polyacrylamide, Phenoxyethanol, Ethylhexylglycerin, Polysorbate 60, C13-14 isoparaffin, Methylparaben, Carbomer, Sodium hydroxide, Laureth-7, Parfum (Fragrance), Sodium hyaluronate, Glycerin, Sodium citrate, Xanthan gum, Titanium dioxide (CI 77891), Iron oxides (CI 77491, CI 77492)

Both of these products do an awesome job on oily skin and matte your skin all day meaning you don't have to worry about oil taking over your makeup! These products are also very similar in what they do but differ in other ways. If you're someone who does their makeup in a hurry (me) I would probably suggest the matte veil because you literally have to put a bit on your face, rub it in and it instantly dries. Whereas the Becca primer takes a lot of work to apply as if you don't do it right it can mess up your whole face. If you are thinking of purchasing either one of these I would suggest testing them out before hand and seeing which one suits your face better, as It's quite a lot of money to spend on something which you may not like! Also, ingredient wise the Illamasqua primer has an ingredient in it called 'Alcohol Denat' and this is not the best thing for your skin- the ingredient is second on the list which means there is a high percentage of it in the product. I probably wouldn't use this as an every day primer because of that ingredient, as in high volumes it is really damaging for your skin. 

Have you tried any of these products? if so which one did you prefer?

Speak soon :)!

Annie X


Join the conversation!

© Annie Collyer. Design by FCD.